Tuesday, July 03, 2007


Last night I watched a spectacular extravaganza of lyrical filmmaking, Simon Pummell's Bodysong. This is an experimental documentary from 2003, in the tradition of Godfrey Reggio's groundbreaking Qatsi Trilogy, which attempts to trace humanity through a collage of found footage from all over the world.

Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood did the haunting soundtrack, which alone is worth the price of rental.

I kid you not when I say that I squeamishly watched this film from beginning to end -- I say squeamish because there are certainly uncomfortable moments in this picture -- then I turned right around and watched it again with the director's commentary. It's that good! I highly recommend it.

*

On a completely unrelated note, I read an article in the Sunday NYTimes about the French electro group Justice, who are being hailed as the new Daft Punk. Their freshest album is out next week; its title is the symbol of the cross, which sorta also looks like the monolith in Kubrick's 2001. Here are two of their videos:

D.A.N.C.E.



Remix of Simian Mobile Disco's “We Are Your Friends,” credited as Simian Mobile Disco vs. Justice (thanks to CSP for his help on this one)