Monday, August 25, 2008

This video of Tao Lin reading from his memoir, i went fishing with my family when i was five, makes me think of John Cage's 4'33". Both performances create an event by provoking an experience that moves beyond the basic elements of their construction:




Here is David Tudor performing Cage's 4'33":




*


Right now I'm working on an essay about David Lynch's Dune for an upcoming Lynch anthology that I'd like to be a part of, and I came across this article in which Alejandro Jodorowsky discusses his attempt to make Dune seven years earlier:

"[Salvador] Dalí agrees with much enthusiasm the idea to play the Emperor of the galaxy. He wants to film in Cadaquès and to use as throne a toilet made up of two intersected dolphins. The tails will form the feet and the two open mouths will be used one to receive the "wee", the other to receive the "excrement". Dalí thinks that it is of terrible bad taste to mix the "wee" and the "excrement"."