Tuesday, July 29, 2008

"More and more I strive for simplicity. I use worn metaphors. It's what's basically eternal. For example, stars resemble eyes or death is like sleep." (Borges)



Those are the opening images of Jean Luc Godard's Les Carabiniers (1963), which I watched for the first time tonight.

I'll be straight with you, it's the most effective anti-war film I've ever seen.

But for some reason it's a film you never really hear very much about; nobody ever talks about Godard's Les Carabiniers; but I'm thinking people should start. Maybe I could get the buzz going: put Les Carabiniers on your Netflix queue!

There are parts in this movie that will make you wince.

Also, there is a sequence where a character goes to the movies for the first time and it is probably one of the best sequences I've ever seen in a film. I don't want to spoil it for you, but trust me, it's deadly.










ps - If you happen to be interested in the philosophy of Deleuze & Guattari, I'm participating in a summer-long reading group dedicated to their work; we have a website where you can come and visit and share your ideas. Right now my argument is: "Disengagement is the only truly revolutionary action."