Friday, November 07, 2008

There is a really interesting conversation about books going on here:

I can’t rightly say that my life has ever been changed by the reading of a novel. . .and more than that, I can’t think of any novel that has changed my thinking about life, the way I conceive the world, this matter of existing. - Which is to say, I guess, that I’ve never looked into novels for philosophy, for meaning; - and which may in turn be why I’m so antipathetic to novels which are largely concerned with “philosophising” or constructing philosophies, or at least the modes of interpretation which favour this approach to them (I certainly can’t think of a novelist who ever contributed anything important to human understanding; and for those about whom it is claimed, often none of it is their own thought at all, but they were themselves strongly influenced by philosophers. . . .



*



Katherine Bernhardt
:










*






*



badiou on the financial crisis

(via infinite thought)


*



CRISIS IN THE HUMANITIES

by MARJORIE PERLOFF


*


The Difference is Spreading: on Gertrude Stein
by Marjorie Perloff


*



Miguel Chevalier:





*



"Andrew Feenberg discusses his new collection of essays by Herbert Marcuse. The most influential radical philosopher of the 1960s, Marcuse's writings are noteworthy for their uncompromising opposition to both capitalism and communism."

The Essential Marcuse




*


Theodor Adorno




*


David Hawkes asks the question: Is fiction inherently capitalist?




*



Georg Baselitz: