Friday, February 24, 2006


Diego In My Thoughts

Frida Kahlo
(1943)


"I guess when your heart gets broken, you sort of start to see the cracks in everything."

- JJ Abrams, Felicity:Season One, Episode Three


Went to a reading tonight at the tango bar. My friend, fiction writer Steve Edwards, filling in for someone at the last minute, shared a knockdown hilarious, but yet strangely sad short piece that was written in the negative, i.e. I didn’t get a speeding ticket on my way to school today. I didn’t wake up late. I didn’t bust my ankle in the shower. etc. Also, OSU alumni Carrie Shipers gave us a taste of her poetry about dead people. She read one from the point of view of the ghost in the old hitchhiker-as-ghost ghost story. All in all, it was one of the better No Name readings I’ve attended.

Speaking of OSU, or The Ohio State University, I have yet to accept their tempting offer for next year, partly because I’m still waiting to hear back from Alabama and Indiana, as well as the school currently employing me. Without all the results, I can’t officially say one way or the other. Everything is still up in the air. I could get a letter from Alabama tomorrow that makes me rethink everything. I could get an email from our department here at UNL offering me funding for a PhD, but with each passing day, minus offers from elsewhere, I’ve been mentally moving more and more of my things to Columbus, Ohio. The folks in the MFA program there, faculty and students, are so warm and inviting. They’ve gone out of their way to make me feel welcome with phone calls and loads of encouraging emails. I’ve never been to Ohio, but I like it already.