Sunday, December 31, 2006



The Pursuit of Happyness got me thinking: what would I do if I had no money, no friends or family to lean on for support, and a little boy to take care of? My answer: I have no idea. Honestly, it's nearly impossible to even imagine myself in such a situation. Just watching the events unfold on screen was mentally crippling. Yet somehow this guy pulled it off, which wouldn't be such a big deal if this were merely a make-believe Hollywood feel-good flick, but it's not. It's based on a true story. So when the end comes, and Will Smith's eyes fill up with tears, my eyes empathetically mirrored his because even though his reality is so far removed from mine that it should be as hard to relate with as a sci-fi flick, even though I may be a privileged member of the middle class with a strong network of friends and family who would be there to ensure that a similar fate never happened to me, the emotions still resonate powerfully. Every step of the way, I was right there with him.

This film isn't a great cinematic achievement by any means, but it did get me thinking, and both the two leads (Smith and his real-life son) are fantastic. If you're in the mood to watch a triumph of will, no pun intended, or if you just feel like crying, check it out.