Wednesday, March 22, 2006


Installation piece entitled Chemical Life Support
Marc Quinn
(2005)


I’m on a music kick. Today I acquired:

Animal Collective - Feels
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm Remixed
Joanna Newsom - The Milk-Eyed Mender
Antony and the Johnsons - I am a Bird Now
And currently in the headphones: Devendra Banhart - Cripple Crow

For the audible pleasure of anyone who's interested, I found this: Sufjan Stevens at the Lincoln Center's Allen Room in NYC 1-14-06. The good news is that it's free; the bad news is that it isn't the whole show.

But this evening I believe I might have seen the greatest living band in the entire world on Jimmy Kimmel: Gogol Bordello. They're an explosive international punkrock cabaret unlike anything I've seen before, kinetic and outrageous! They used marching drums, fiddles, cymbals, guitars, accordions, saxaphones, you name it. The chorus of one song was composed of women screaming bloody murder like in 80's horror movies. The lead singer spoke half in English and half in Russian (maybe?) but even cooler than being bilingual, he had a mustache and jumped all around. I must hunt down their music immediately.

One week from tonight, I will be in Ohio, visiting the University and considering a new life in Columbus.